A floating lodge in the heart of grizzly bear country
Save up to £1,465 on Club World flights to North America
Save up to £1,465 on Club World flights to destinations across North America. Enquire now to take advantage before the promotional fares expire.
- A floating lodge reached only by seaplane
- One of the best places in the world for viewing grizzly bears during the spring, summer and autumn months
- Just 36 guests at any one time
Activity adventure | Natural world | Off the beaten track | Wildlife
The Knight Inlet is one of the best places to view grizzly bears in the world. Every spring, the bears come out of hibernation and can be seen by boat on the banks of the Glendale Cove eating sedge grasses, mussels and barnacles that abound in the cove. In autumn, the bears feed on salmon in the Glendale River, and can be seen in large numbers from the specially constructed viewing platform.
The Knight Inlet Lodge is a floating lodge tucked into the Glendale Cove, a protected anchorage 60km from the mouth of the Knight Inlet, a 100km fjord carved by glaciers in the coastal mountains of British Colombia, Canada. The lodge is 80km air miles north of Campbell River, in a wild an remote area of the Pacific Northwest.
The Knight Inlet is one of the best places to view grizzly bears in the world. Every spring, the bears come out of hibernation and can be by boat on the banks of the Glendale Cove eating sedge grasses, mussels and barnacles that abound in the cove. In autumn, the bears feed on salmon in the Glendale River, and can be seen in large numbers from the specially constructed viewing platform.
The lodge features five modern cement floats containing 18 guest rooms in total, a dining room, a lounge and interpretive centre and support buildings. Most rooms feature queen size beds and private washrooms with showers. There are a couple of rooms with bunk beds for families looking to share a room, large enough for a cot to be added. Local alder hardwood furniture is featured in all the rooms, which have a view of either Glendale Cove or the shoreline - a common bear-spotting location.
Fresh seafood is a specialty at the Knight Inlet Lodge. There's also a range of dining options. The main dining room serves West Coast and continental cuisine, with daily specials, fine wines and delicious desserts. Crab, salmon and prawn harvested fresh from the pristine glacier fed waters of the Knight Inlet.
Activities and inclusions
The Knight Inlet Lodge package includes a return flight from Vancouver to Campbell River, as well as a return transfer from Campbell River Airport to the Knight Inlet Lodge and seaplane terminal. The package also includes the nights' accommodation at the lodge, and a return airfare from Campbell River Floatplane dock to Knight Inlet Lodge.
Also included is your welcome orientation for wildlife viewing, all meals and snacks whilst at the lodge, complimentary house wine with dinner, transportation to the bear viewing stands and boats, a bear viewing tour, a scenic boatride of Glendale Cove, use of kayaks on organised estuary tours, interpretive guide on all tours, rain gear if necessary, and BC Provincial Hotel Tax.
Four day and three night packages will offer the following extras: an extra bear viewing trip, an interpretive hike of the Kwalate River Valley, wildlife tracking to make plaster casts of animal prints, and excursions for Bald Eagle and other birdlife viewing.
Five and six day packages will also include extras. These are: excursions to Johnstone Strait, excursions for Bald Eagle viewing and other birdlife, excursions to the upper reaches of Knight Inlet for scenic viewing of the inlet, excursions to see the grizzly bears from platforms or boats, excursions to Thompson Sound and Bond Sound for bear and wildlife viewing, wildlife tracking to make plaster casts of animal prints, interpretive forest walk in the Kwalate Valley, and use of kayaks on organised tours.
This extension is suitable for…
Take to the open road on this tailor-made fly-drive as you link the cities of Vancouver and Calgary via stops in Vancouver Island, Whistler and the Banff and Jasper national parks.
This tailor-made fly-drive pairs Vancouver and Victoria's city highlights with the natural wonders and wildlife of Whistler, the Sunshine Coast and Pacific Rim National Park.
Receive up to £250 per couple in Peaks & Perks – Save up to £125 pp
Book by: 28 March 2018
Sweep through the Canadian Rockies on a truly legendary rail journey, stopping off for scenic helicopter flights, gondola rides and guided tours of Banff and Yoho National Park. You'll even stay right on the shores of Lake Louise.
Receive up to £380 per couple in Peaks & Perks – Save up to £190 pp
Book by: 28 March 2018
Between expert-led tours, handpicked hotel stays and, yes, an ultra-scenic rail journey, this curated itinerary showcases Canada’s dramatic landscapes in style. Along the way, you’ll step out onto glaciers, sweep alongside rushing rivers and summit national-park peaks.
Any element of this extension can be adjusted to suit your needs. Just contact us to find out more.
3 Day / 2 Night Package
from £1,215 pp.
from £1,350 pp.
Valid for travel: 21 May - 15 October 2018
- Return flight from Vancouver to Campbell River
- Return transfer Campbell River Airport to hotel and seaplane terminal
- 1 nt accommodation in Campbell River
- Remaining nights in Knight Inlet lodge (number of nights depending on length of package)
- Return airfare from Campbell River Float Plane dock to Knight Inlet Lodge
- Welcome orientation for wildlife viewing
- All meals and snacks while at the lodge
- Complimentary house wine with dinner
- All transportation to the bear viewing stands and boats
- Bear viewing tour
- Scenic boat ride of Glendale Cove
- Knight Inlet sightseeing cruise
- Use of Kayaks on organised estuary tours
- Interpretive guide on all tours
4 day packages will be offering the following extra tours;
- extra bear viewing trip
- interpretive hike of the Kwalate River Valley
- wildlife tracking to make plaster casts of animal prints
- excursions for Bald Eagle viewing and other bird life
- Excursions to Johnstone Strait
- Excursions for Bald Eagle viewing and other bird life
- Excursions to the upper reaches of Knight inlet for scenic viewing of the inlet
- Excursions to see the grizzly bears from the platforms or boats
- Excursions for other wildlife viewing depending on location and availability
- Scenic cruise of Knight inlet
- Excursions to Thompson Sound and Bond Sound for bear and wildlife viewing
- Wildlife tracking to make plaster casts of animal prints
- Interpretive forest walk in the Kwalate Valley
- Use of kayaks on organised tours
We can also arrange inclusive packages from Vancouver – please ask for details.
Terms & Conditions
Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room; prices are subject to availability and possible change; normal booking conditions apply.
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7590 0635