An epic Australian rail journey from coast to coast
History & culture | Natural world | Rail journey
The Indian Pacific is so named for the two oceans it connects on its three-night, cross-country journey between Perth and Sydney. Covering 4,352-kilometres, it's one of the world's longest and most memorable train journeys. Travelling east from Perth's golden beaches, the train sweeps across the endless landscapes of the Nullabor Plains, calling into remote the Outback town of Kalgoorlie before arriving in Adelaide. Then, after a chance to explore the myriad highlights of South Australia's state capital, you'll continue across some of Australia's most productive farmlands to the UNESCO-listed Blue Mountains, finally arriving in Sydney.
Settling in among the wood-panelled fineries of your private berth, you’ll be treated to spectacular views of the rushing outback from picture windows – scenes brought to life by optional audio commentary. Then, after a day’s exploring, freshen up in your en suite before retiring to cosy upper and lower berths, converted from your three-seater lounge. Alongside the single option, you can upgrade to a ¾ size double bed, complete with TV and DVD player. You’ll also enjoy multi-course fine-dining menus inspired by the destinations you visit, and washed down with a complimentary selection of beers, spirits and Australian wines.
By day, Platinum cabins are configured into a private lounge – host to a table and pair of ottomans – and by night they’re transformed into a luxurious bedroom, with either double or twin beds. Along with the refreshments and delicious breakfasts served in your cabin, guests are also welcomed to the Platinum Club. Here, gourmet dining, premium drinks and endless vistas are served up to an exclusive lounge and leather banquette seating. It’s all dressed in timber accents, brass fittings and quartzite tabletops.
The Indian Pacific - Off-train Excursions
As part of the experience of travelling on one of the world's great rail journeys, guests aboard the Indian Pacific will have the chance to step off the train and experience some of the incredible destinations first hand on a series of specially tailored off-train tours. What's more, they're all included in the cost of a gold or platinum service fare.
Off-train excursions in Broken Hill
- Westbound: Discover the unique quirks of Australia's Silver City and learn about the history of the region's mining industry
- Eastbound: Enjoy a drag show inspired by iconic movie Pricilla Queen of the Desert and discover Broken Hill's surprising artistic offerings
Off-train excursions in Adelaide
- Westbound: Explore Adelaide's rich cultural heritage and head into the nearby wine regions of McLaren Vale and the world-famous Barossa Valley for an included dinner
- Westbound: Those joining the train in Adelaide will be welcomed with dinner at the National Wine Centre prior to boarding
- Eastbound: Take in Adelaide on a guided city tour and take in the architecture of the city's cultural hub – North Terrace
- Eastbound: Alternatively, join a tasting tour at Adelaide Central Markets, which date back to 1869.
Off-train excursions in Kalgoorlie (eastbound)
- Discover this region's mining heritage with a visit to Kalgoorlie's Super Pit - the nation's largest open-cut mine. Then, get up close to the super-sized dump trucks at Hannan's North Tourist Mine.
- Take a tour of Western Australia's largest regional city and find out more about its gold-rush past
Off-train excursions in Blue Mountains (eastbound)
- Step off the train to explore the picturesque Blue Mountains. Take in the views with afternoon tea, then take a charter train on to Sydney.
- Rawlinna (westbound): Experience an evening under the starry Outback skies as you pause to take in the beauty of Western Australia's vast Nullarbor Plain.
- Cook: Stretch your legs with a visit to the historic railway town of Cook in the South Australian Outback, using your self-guide map to explore.
Stay here on these holidays
Free Singapore stopover
Early Bird Booking offer - Book 6 months prior to travel – Save up to £170 pp
Book by: 31 January 2019
Take to the rails on this luxury journey aboard the Indian Pacific. You'll travel across Australia’s vast outback as you journey coast-to-coast from Perth to Sydney, enjoying fine dining and tailored touring throughout.
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7590 0634Meet the team