A legendary rail journey through the heart of Australia
Activity adventure | History & culture | Natural world | Rail journey
Running from Adelaide to Darwin (or vice versa) the Ghan takes you from one edge of the continent to other. You'll view the dramatic Flinders Ranges in Australia's south, travel through the vast desert landscapes of the Red Centre and watch the scenery change as you enter the tropical Top End, finally arriving in Darwin on Australia's north coast. Named after the Afghan Cameleers who opened this route, the full 2,979km journey takes three days with long stops in key places such as Alice Springs and Katherine.
Platinum & Gold Service
The Ghan’s Platinum service is the epitome of luxury train travel, offering en-suite cabins twice the size of the standard Gold Service, each with a double or twin beds. Complimentary extras include 24-hour room service, all-inclusive meals and drinks, a turndown service, off-train excursions and private transfers at the beginning and end of your journey.
Gold Service offers twin or single sleepers with comfortable lounges that convert to bunk beds at night as well as all-inclusive meals, beverages and off-train excursions.
The Ghan: Off-train Excursions
The Ghan passes through some of Australia's most beautiful and celebrated destinations. Guests on board The Ghan have the opportunity to step off the train to discover why these places make an Australian rail holiday a truly unique and inspiring experience.
Off-train excursions in Alice Springs and Katherine are exclusively tailored for guests travelling on The Ghan. These tours are specially designed so that guests can get the most out of their short stopover, giving enough time to learn and connect with cultural and natural heritage found nowhere else in the world.
These fantastic excursions are included in your Platinum or Gold Service fare, so just make sure you bring your camera to capture all of your exciting off-train discoveries. And, for those travelling on the Ghan Expedition route, there are a host of additional options to make most of your additional stops.
Off-train excursions in Alice Springs (Ghan Classic)
- Head to Alice Desert Park for an unforgettable exploration of Outback flora, fauna and Indigenous culture.
- Explore the iconic sites of this town to discover its significant place in Australian history.
- Revisit The Ghan's humble beginnings by taking a ride on a camel while getting to know the people who steer these 'ships of the desert' in modern times.
Off-train excursions in Alice Springs (Ghan Expedition)
- Discover the unique history and culture of Alice - the iconic gateway to Australia's Red Centre
- Trek through the spectacular Simpson Gap
- Cycle along the arid banks of the Todd River, which fills with water only a handful of times each decade
- Discover Alice's pioneer history from the region's famous 'flying doctors'
- Dine under a canopy of stars at the Alice Springs Telegraph Station
Off-train excursions in Katherine (Classic & Expedition)
- Relax as you discover the grandeurs of one of the Northern Territory's most monumental natural wonders on this leisurely boat cruise (November to April).
- Learn more about the rich history and culture of the Katherine region through the fascinating interpretations of indigenous rock art dating back 40,000 years.
- Get right to the heart and history of the Katherine region with this unique outback experience, which showcases the inner workings of a working Australian cattle ranch (May to October).
- Upgrade your excursion in Katherine with a thrilling helicopter ride or scenic flight over the Kakadu and Nitmiluk National Parks (additional fee applies).
Off-train experiences in Coober Pedy (Ghan Expedition)
- Spend a day exploring Coober Pedy, a remote Outback town built mostly underground
- Explore the network of underground tunnels and visit a home dug out from the red desert rock
- Dine beneath the Earth's surface in the cooling tunnels of the Opal Quest Mine
- View the majestic Breakaways, a striking example of Outback scenery believed to have been an inland sea some 70 million years ago.
Outback experiences (Ghan Classic)
- Marla (northbound): This unforgettable tour brings you right into the remote reaches of South Australia. Departing in the early morning, you'll watch sprawling landscapes illuminated by a spectacular Outback sunrise.
- Manguri (southbound): This after-dinner stop in Manguri, half way between Adelaide and Alice Springs, allows you gaze up at the Outback sky filled with stars, a truly unforgettable experience.
Stay here on these holidays
Early Bird Offer – Save up to £250 pp
Book by: 30 April 2019
Marry one of the world’s greatest rail journeys with tropical Darwin, Adelaide’s heritage and the wildlife of Kangaroo Island.
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7590 0634Meet the team