A romantic journey through the diverse landscapes of south east Australia
Our Flexibility Promise
With our Flexibility Promise, you can rest assured that, should you need to change your plans or cancel your holiday, we’ll offer you the most flexible terms available. Find out more here.
City | Natural world | Rail journey | Self-drive | Wildlife
This train evokes the romance of a golden era of travel, from its classic wood-panelled cabins to the stylish art deco furnishings in the dining carriage. Travelling between two of Australia's most interesting cities; Brisbane and Adelaide, the Great Southern takes in true blue Aussie scenery on the way, including the rugged ranges of the Grampians and the wide boulevards of Canberra. Celebrating the diversity and natural beauty of south east Australia, this is no ordinary train journey.
Platinum & Gold Service
The Great Southern's Platinum service comprises deluxe en-suite cabins twice the size of the standard Gold Service and a host of premium extras, including a full-size en suite, expansive window views from both sides of the train, and exclusive use of the Platinum Club carriage. By day, your cabin is acts as a private lounge with comfortable seating, a table and two ottomans. By night, you’ll enjoy a deep, comfortable sleep as your cabin converts to a sleeper with a double or twin beds.
The food and wine included in your Platinum service includes hearty breakfasts, two-course lunches and sumptuous four-course dinners. You’ll also notice elegant touches, like Bollinger champagne, Australian-made Appelles Apothecary toiletries, Haigh’s chocolates, a nightcap at turndown, luxuriously soft linen, and more, to make your journey extra special.
In a Gold Twin, your cabin features a private en suite and upper and lower berths that convert to a three-seater lounge for window gazing during the day. Gold Singles are a more compact sleeper cabin option with a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared bathroom facilities located at the end of your carriage. Gold service features all-inclusive dining in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant paired with Australian wines, beers, base spirits and non-alcoholic beverages.
The Great Southern: Off-train Excursions
Great Southern takes you to some of Australia's hidden gems. At each stop, you'll have the chance to discover what makes south east Australia so special.
Off-train excursions are included in your Gold or Platinum class fare, so all you need to do is take in the sights around you. From walking at the foot of the Grampians' mammoth rock formations to taking in the sparkling coastlines of Coffs Harbour, there are off-train excursions for everyone, with plenty of photo opportunities to remember every moment.
Off-train excursions in the Grampians
- Take a guided walk in nature against a backdrop of spectacular rugged terrain.
- Drive to a lookout to take in panoramic vistas of the Grampians National Park, the perfect photo opportunity.
Off-train excursions in Canberra
- All guests will enjoy a visit to the historic Parliament House with a delicious lunch included.
- Choose from fascinating guided tours at the the National War Memorial, Parliament House, National Gallery of Australia or the National Museum of Australia, depending on your preference.
- Or, if you're a foodie, opt for a relaxing wine tasting and dining experience in the celebrated Murrumbateman Food and Wine region.
Off-train excursions in Coffs Harbour
- Take the Boardwalk to Beach excursion, where you'll pause at the small station of Urunga to take in the breathtaking coastline views and the majestic Great Dividing Range. From here you'll head back to Coffs Harbour to stroll around the bustling Harbourside Markets and historic jetty.
- The Coffs Explorer excursion takes you to the scenic Sealy Lookout, offering views for miles from the Forest Sky Pier, before returning to Coffs to explore the markets or relax by the beach.
- Make the most of Coffs Harbour’s beautiful white sand beaches with an entire morning spent seaside. Wander along the coast, have a dip in the ocean, play a game of beach cricket or simply relax on the sand.
- Enjoy nine holes at the Bonville Golf Resort, one of the world’s most beautiful golf courses. Availability is strictly limited for Bonville Golf Resort. Please request more information at the time of enquiry.
Stay here on these holidays
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7590 0634Meet the team