Get away to a country estate among the vines of the Duero Valley
- Enjoy sommelier-guided tasting sessions in one of Spain’s most highly regarded wine regions
- Make use of your hire car to explore Salamanca’s historic sights
- Stay in a 14th century manor house replete with gourmet dining and a luxurious spa
- See the Acetaia – the only traditional balsamic vinegar cellar of its kind in Spain – and walk through the Iberian Pata Negra drying house on a tour of the Hacienda Zorita Organic Farm
City-break | Food & wine | History & culture
This short break brings you out from Madrid into the rolling greenery of the Duero (Douro) Valley where you’ll stay in a converted country manor. Dating back some 700 years, it’s the perfect base for tasting your way through this historic wine region, showcased on a pair of included guided tours and even in wine-themed spa therapies. You’ll also have the use of a hire car to explore next-door Salamanca where Spain’s Golden Age is revisited in everything from Romanesque cathedrals to Renaissance palaces.
Day by day itinerary
Flying into Madrid, you’ll pick up your hire car at the airport to make the scenic drive, through the Spanish countryside, to Salamanca and your luxury accommodation. Set on the banks of the River Tormes in the city’s rural surrounds, this Dominican estate dates back to the 14th century and counts one Christopher Columbus among its esteemed guests. Here, you’ll be welcomed to the traditional charm and stunning vineyard views of your room with a complimentary bottle of Hacienda Zorita’s wine. Many also come with private terraces, wine cellars and their own gardens. You’ll then have five days to enjoy the hotel’s superb facilities that include a traditional restaurant, poolside sun loungers and an excellent spa. There’s also the small matter of 300 hectares of eagle-plied farmland and oak forests to explore.
Stay: Hacienda Zorita, Salamanca (Deluxe)
To help acquaint you with the region’s rich oenology – wine has been produced in the Duero (Douro) Valley for over a thousand years – Hacienda Zorita offers exclusive tasting experiences, letting guests sample a selection from its 1,450 oak barrels. Led by the hotel’s sommelier, you’ll learn about both the winemaking process and how each can be paired with the region’s fine gastronomy. An included tour of the the Hacienda Zorita Organic Farm is a highlight, guiding you through working farmlands set amongst evergreen oak tree forest. You’ll discover exactly what goes in to making award-winning cheeses, see the Acetaia – the only traditional balsamic vinegar cellar of its kind in Spain, and walk through the Iberian Pata Negra drying house, sampling everything from sumptuous mozzarella to Ibérico ham along the way. These Spanish staples, along with olive oil, freshly-baked breads and organic fruits and vegetables, serve the hotel’s unique farm-to-table restaurant.
You’ll also have plenty of time at leisure, perhaps to relax with a vinotherapy spa treatment or make use of your hire car to explore next-door Salamanca. Its signature golden sandstone beautifies everything from its 13th-century university and Convento de San Esteban to the intricately detailed façade of its Gothic cathedral. Centred on the Plaza Mayor; often termed ‘Spain’s Grandest Square’, it’s awash with Baroque flourishes and monuments to the city’s rich past. You’ll also be perfectly poised to dip into Portugal, perhaps following the Douro River upstream to watch as its banks are terraced into rolling vineyards dotted with pretty whitewashed villages and medieval towns.
Stay: Hacienda Zorita, Salamanca (Deluxe)
On your last day, drive back to Madrid to drop your car off and make your flight home.
Any element of this itinerary can be adjusted to suit your needs. Just contact us to find out more.
6-day tailor-made break staying at Hacienda Zorita from £645 incl. flights
Standard Double Room
Stay 5 and pay for 4 nights discount: Save up to £100 pp.
Book by: 14 December 2019
from £645 pp. incl. flights
from £720 pp. incl. flights
- Complimentary UK airport departure access
- Flights are included from your selected departure airport to Madrid
- Car hire is included for the duration of your stay
- 5 nights accommodation on a B&B basis in a Double room
- Welcome Drink upon arrival
- Bottle of Hacienda Zorita wine in room
- Organic Farm package including cheese tasting, cheese & wine pairing tasting accompanied by Hacienda Zorita extra virgin olive oil and Iberian Pata Negra ham in the [email protected] Organic Farm restaurant. Also included is a visit to the Acetaia, the only traditional balsamic vinegar cellar of its kind in Spain.
- Lunch in [email protected] Organic Farm restaurant based on a selection of Iberian acorn-fed cold cuts, grilled vegetables from the organic garden and top quality beef and pork meats together with dessert
Extending your stay: While this itinerary is ideal as a stand-alone break, it's also available as an extension out of Madrid, perhaps ending your holiday with some viticulture indulgence and spa relaxation in the Spanish capital.
01 Nov 2019 - 30 Apr 2020
01 May - 02 Nov 2020
Terms & Conditions
Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room; prices are subject to availability and possible change; normal booking conditions apply.
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7664 2264