Given the size and scale of the USA it isn't surprising that there are some exceptional beaches on both east and west coast, particularly in states such as California, Florida and Hawaii. The best beaches in North America include:
- Santa Monica in California is less of a circus than Venice Beach, where the focus is on the artists, performers and weightlifters on the boardwalk. Alternatives include Coronado Beach in San Diego, which is hundreds of metres wide.
- Miami Beach, Sanibel and Captiva and Saint Pete Beach in Florida provide the perfect antidote to the theme parks and commercialism nearby.
- Waimea beach on Oahu is Hawaii's premier surf beach and an iconic destination on which the world's top surfers measure themselves. Alternatives include Kailua Beach, Waikiki Beach and Ho'okipa Beach on Maui.
- Main Beach, East Hampton in New York has towering sand dunes, beautiful, clear water.
- Coast Guard beach in Massachusetts is tough to get to and the water never gets warm, but there are astonishing views and some exceptional sand to enjoy.
- Ocracoke Island and the Outer Banks off North Carolina is a remote hideaway with miles of uncrowded beaches and unspoiled dunes popular with people looking for top-class sea fishing, kayaking and sailing as well as wreck diving.
- Myrtle Beach in South Carolina is popular with families and people looking for a well-equipped beach with panoramic views.
These are just a handful of the options available though. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday in North America by adding a city break, excursion or tour to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.
Our top itineraries for North America Beach holidays
Between inter-island flights and tours, see all that the Hawaiian archipelago has to offer from its white sands to its blue waters and green interior
Journey from the the boardwalks and architectural splendours of Miami to the yawning archipelago of Florida Keys on this two-week road trip through the Sunshine State.
From the theme parks of Orlando to the sands of The Palm Beaches and the architectural treasures of South Beach, Miami, this 13-day self-drive tour delivers fun in the sun along Florida's beautiful Atlantic coast.
Top offers for North America Beach holidays
Stay 5 and pay 4 nights only, incl. breakfast from May-Oct17
Book by: 31 October 2017
Featuring eight restaurants, a private beach club, a fitness centre, two 18-hole championship golf courses, tennis courts and five swimming pools, it’s not difficult to see where the hotel spends its annual $25 million dollars of investment.
Save up to £620 per couple
Book by: 28 February 2017
They say The Carolinas is a land of contrasts and it's true – atmospheric mountainscapes vie with pristine beaches for your attention in a region of incredible natural beauty. This seldom-travelled part of the USA provides nature, relaxation, adventure and history in abundance.
Save up to £880 per couple
Book by: 30 March 2017
One of the most impressive self-drives in the USA, the Pacific Coast Highway takes in San Francisco, Los Angeles and everything in between. Incredible mountain and ocean scenery vies for your attention with world-class vineyards, towns and beaches.