Africa boasts some brilliant beaches and there are spectacular swathes of sand all over the continent. Kenya beach holidays and Zanzibar holidays are especially popular but there are world-class alternatives all over Africa. The continent's best beaches include the following:
- Santa Monica beach, Boa Vista, Cape Verde is the best bay on a 35 mile long stretch of white sand and emerald-green water.
- Laguna, Bay of Dahab, Egypt is a natural Red Sea lagoon north of Sharm el-Sheikh that has a bohemian feel and access to the desert and Sinai mountains.
- Lamu beach, Kenya is a breathtaking eight-mile crescent backed by dunes and lapped by the Indian Ocean.
- Ile Aux Nattes, Madagascar is a true escape for people who like their beaches deserted.
- Likoma Island, Malawi is a tranquil idyll in the giant freshwater lake that makes up much of the country.
- Oualida, Morocco is a natural lagoon that provides far more shelter than the beaches at wind-whipped Essaouira.
- Quirimbas National Park, Mozambique is nestled amongst palm groves and lapped by the Indian Ocean.
- Sodwana Bay, South Africa is a marine reserve fringed by dense coastal forest where you can watch whales, dolphins and also see turtles laying eggs.
- Mnemba Island, Tanzania is tiny but punches above its weight in terms of barefoot luxury.
- Nungwi, Zanzibar is the most beautiful expanse on the island, with blindingly white sand and water so blue it appears almost translucent.
These are just a handful of the options available though. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday and consider combining a safari and beach holiday or adding a spectacular city break to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.