Combine one of the world's great rail journeys with luxury stays in Venice and Florence
- Recall the golden age of rail travel with a journey on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
- Sweep across alpine Europe with gourmet dining included throughout
- Explore historic Venice with a luxury stay overlooking the Grand Canal
- Take in the Renaissance splendour of Florence on a guided city tour
- Marvel at some of the world's great masterpieces with included entry to the Uffizi Gallery
- 1 Night Venice Simplon-Orient-Express
- 2 Nights Venice
- 2 Nights Florence
City | Food & wine | History & culture | Rail journey
Florence is a Renaissance masterpiece, home to sublime art and architecture, and world-leading food and wine. As such, it makes for a fitting ending to this weeklong break, which begins with an unforgettable journey aboard the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express between London and Venice, a city whose storied streets and waterways you ’ll explore from your luxury base on the banks of the Grand Canal.
Day by day itinerary
London to Paris
Your journey begins at London’s Victoria with a champagne reception before you take your seat aboard the Belmond British Pullman for a lunch-paired race through Kent. Then, after a hop across the channel, you’ll board the famous blue-and-gold carriages of the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to begin your journey to Paris. Settling into your private, oak-panelled cabin, you’ll ready yourself for dinner in the elegant restaurant car where gourmet food and fine wines are served to the twinkling sounds of a baby grand piano. Then, having joined your fellow guests in the bar car, you’ll return to your cabin to find it transformed into sleeping quarters complete with crisp damask sheets.
Stay: Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (Deluxe)
Meals: L D
Arrive in Venice
Having travelled through the night, you’ll wake to views of the Swiss Alps and a Continental breakfast served in your cabin. Then, as you sweep eastwards, the Italian Dolomites provide a stunning backdrop for your three-course lunch before an afternoon tea of gourmet sandwiches, cakes and pastries signals your approach to the Venetian Lagoon. Once in Venice itself, you’ll disembark at Santa Lucia station for a private water taxi transfer to your chosen hotel. There’s the Baglioni Hotel Luna with its silk-panelled walls, frescoed ceilings and rooftop Grand-Canal views, or the L’Orologio, whose contemporary rooms and innovative artworks are just a short stroll from Piazza San Marco and the Rialto Bridge.
Meals: B L
Spend today exploring Venice’s storied streets and waterways, with an optional walking tour our recommendation for making the most of your stay. Take in the history of such famous sights as the 14th-century Doge’s Palace and Saint Mark’s Basilica and follow in Hemingway’s footsteps with a Bellini at the famous Harry’s Bar. Then, in the afternoon, perhaps take a cruise out across the Venetian Lagoon to explore Burano’s brightly coloured storybook charm and take in the glassblowing heritage of nearby Murano, both Venice’s in miniature.
Take the train south, travelling in first-class comfort to Florence, a city steeped in the history of the Renaissance. Again, we’ve picked out a choice of hotels, with our Deluxe option, the Hotel Brunelleschi, combining interiors rich in historic artwork and antiques with a superb restaurant and doorstep access to the grand marble façade of the city’s famous Doumo. Alternatively, our Superior option features fine Tuscan dining, a rooftop bar, a Finnish sauna and even a collection of perfectly preserved Roman ruins in its basement. Whichever you choose, you’ll be perfectly placed to explore the city’s rich cultural tapestry, showcased on an afternoon city tour and a visit to the world-famous Uffizi Gallery.
Depart for UK
After a leisurely breakfast, transfer to the airport for your flight home.
Any element of this itinerary can be adjusted to suit your needs. Just contact us to find out more.
from £3,055 pp. incl. flights
from £3,445 pp. incl. flights
Valid for travel:
The Venice-Simplon-Orient-Express operates on selected dates between March and November.
- Complimentary use of the British Pullman lounge at London Victoria with welcome refreshments
- London to Folkestone on the British Pullman including three course gourmet brunch
- Calais to Venice on the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express including selected meals prepared by on-board French chefs
- Private transfers throughout
- 2 nights accommodation in L'Orologio Hotel on a B&B basis located on the Grand Canal in Venice
- 1st class rail travel between Venice and Florence
- 2 nights accommodation in Santa Maria Novella Hotel on a B&B basis
- Return flight between Florence and the UK
Terms & Conditions
Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room; prices are subject to availability and possible change; normal booking conditions apply.
Meet our experts
Speak to a tailor-made specialist on 020 7590 0796