With the Adriatic, Aegean, Balearic, Baltic, Mediterranean and even North Sea to choose from it's not surprising that there are some exceptional beaches in Europe. With so many countries claiming a stretch of coast, no matter where you travel there's almost certainly somewhere with good quality sand and good swimming, especially in traditional hotspots such as France, Greece and Spain. The best beaches in Europe include:
- Zlatni Rat in Croatia, an arrow-head shaped beach that is one of the most spectacular stretches of sand in the Adriatic
- Bamburgh in England is a wild stretch of coast overlooked by Northumberland's Bamburgh Castle, although beaches in Cornwall offer stiff competition.
- Ile de Re in France is a wild expanse looking over the Atlantic that benefits from some spectacular sunsets.
- The North Sea island of Sylt in Germany is bracing but exhilarating.
- Myrtnos Beach on Kefalonia is probably Greece's most impressive crescent, with white pebbles curving photogenically into the distance.
- Chia on Sardinia trumps the beaches on mainland Italy, with vast dunes leading into juniper forests.
- The Curonian Spit in Lithuania is the most impressive sliver of beach along the Baltic Sea, backed by silver birches and pines.
- Sagres in Portugal's Algarve is an undeveloped haven overlooked by a mighty white fort.
- El Palmar on Spain's Costa de la Luz has vast golden sand stretches and a casual, friendly atmosphere.
- Tofta in Gotland is where Sweden's hip young things congregate.
- Patara on Turkey's Turquoise Coast is a 12-mile stretch of coast backed by mountains of sand that doubles as a nesting area for turtles.
These are just a handful of the options available though. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday in Europe by adding a city break, history and culture tour or excursion to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.