British Airways and Iberia launch new routes to Latin America and cabins
28 September 2015 by Alex Stewart
British Airways has announced their intention to start flying to new destinations with direct routes planned for Costa Rica from May 2016. They have also announced they will be flying non-stop to Peru from the same date. There has been no direct air-link between the UK and Lima since 1982, when Peru closed its airspace to flights being operated by British Caledonian to show its support for Argentina during the Falklands War. British Airways has continued to fly to cities in Argentina and Brazil, both of which attract significant business traffic. The airline says its launch of a Lima service is banking on the popularity of capital as a gateway to incredible sites such as the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu.
British Airways will join Iberia in flying to Peru. Iberia is not only considered the leading airline from Europe to Latin America, but it is the leading airline between both markets in terms of market share, with over 250 flights a week to the continent. Rather than rest on its laurels, Iberia has been introducing new routes including those recently started to Cali and Medellin in Colombia, which are in addition to its existing services to Bogota, and a return to Havana in Cuba. They operate convenient transfers from UK departure points via Madrid Terminal 4, one of the most modern terminals in Europe. Iberia has also been introducing new aircraft and cabins on routes to Latin America. Of particular note is their new Business Class, called Business Plus.
Key features of Business Plus include:
- Preferential check-in desks and Fast Track
- Three pieces of checked-in luggage
- Access to VIP lounges offering unlimited free internet access
- Velazquez Lounge in Madrid open 24hrs with à la carte restaurant service, offering pre-flight dining for night flights
- Free limousine service with chauffeur for transfers from/to different cities, the airport and selected destinations (Madrid, Barcelona, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Sao Paulo)
- All seats with direct aisle access to offer more space and privacy
- Over 220 cm of personal space
- Seat that reclines into a fully flat bed (180 degrees)
On board service
- Individual touch screen and new in-flight entertainment system
- Connectivity to receive texts and make calls using on-board phone
- Business Plus Wine Cellar
- Haute-cuisine menus based on Mediterranean diet
- Snack Bar offering snacks and drinks throughout the flight
- Toiletry kit with beauty care products by L’Occitane
Luxury Peru Holidays in 2016:
Explore the very best of Peru's beautiful beaches, majestic mountains and fascinating culture on this tailor-made journey, which visits Lima, Arequipa, the Colca Canyon and Lake Titicaca before heading to the Andes and the ancient sites of Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.