Although better known for its wildlife holidays and history and culture, South America still has some superb beaches, particularly in Brazil and Peru, which are ideal for beach holidays in the region. The best beaches in South America include:
- Ipanema in Brazil is Rio's legendary beach. Justifiably popular, its setting and spectacular backdrop make it hard to beat for playing, partying and posing with the locals.
- There are good beaches all along Chile's extensive coast but the best of them is Ovahe Beach on Easter Island, where the pink sands are overlooked by imposing Moai stone carved statues.
- Punta Sal in Mancora is Peru's surfing mecca, with consistent swell, fine sand and a laidback atmosphere.
- Punta del Este in Uruguay is where the glamorous and good flock to stalk the vast sands and party at night.
- Cayo Sombrero in Venezuela has a crescent of superb sand and some great snorkelling whilst Isla Margherita offshore also has beautiful beaches.
These are just some of the options available. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday in South America by adding a wildlife holiday, cultural excursion or city break to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.
Our top itineraries for South America Beach holidays
Join us in celebrating Brazil's rich history and multicultural mix on this unforgettable tailor-made holiday, which begins amid Rio's city icons before heading north to learn about Afro-Brazilian heritage in Salvador and relax on the beaches of Praia do Forte.
Explore Brazil, a country with a continent's worth of highlights within its borders. Teeming rainforests, sparkling beaches and iconic megacities can all be found here, along with a people and culture with a deserved reputation as one of the most welcoming on earth.
It's time to hit the road on this Brazil self-drive holiday, crossing four states – Pernambuco, Alagoas, Sergipe and Bahia – in the country's stunning northeast region.