The long, wild coastline of Central America conceals a number of very good beaches, with some superb stretches of sand in most of the countries found here, especially Belize, Costa Rica and Mexico. The best beaches in Central America include:
- Ambergris Caye in Belize boasts great sand and an exceptional coral reef with some of the best diving in the region.
- Playa Grande on Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica has great surf breaks and seasonally sees turtles lay their eggs here.
- West Bay Beach on Roatan, off Honduras has all the hallmarks of a Caribbean idyll.
- Tulum Beach in Mexico is far quieter than Cancun and benefits from being backed by the Mayan ruins of Tulum.
- San Juan beach in Nicaragua is fringed by rainforest and offers superb surfing, sailing and sea-fishing.
- The Comarca Kuna Yala islands off Panama make up for the lack of quality beaches on the mainland and also have colourful indigenous tribes people to visit.
These are just a handful of the options available though. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday in Central America by adding an excursion, wildlife holiday or city break to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.
Our top itineraries for Central America Beach holidays
Costa Rica is a land of spectacular volcanoes, wildlife-filled cloud forests, fast-flowing jungle rivers and tropical jungles. Explore its natural-world highlights in Arenal and Monteverde before kicking back on the beaches of Manuel Antonio National Park or Guanacaste.
The Holy Trinity of Central America, Guatemala, Honduras and Belize are easily combined in this exciting combination of Indian villages, jungle-shrouded ruins and Caribbean islands.
Panama, South America's southernmost country, remains more or less free from mass tourism and it's the fact that the country remains off-the-beaten-track that is its real draw card.