The long, wild coastline of Central America conceals a number of very good beaches, with some superb stretches of sand in most of the countries found here, especially Belize, Costa Rica and Mexico. The best beaches in Central America include:
- Ambergris Caye in Belize boasts great sand and an exceptional coral reef with some of the best diving in the region.
- Playa Grande on Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica has great surf breaks and seasonally sees turtles lay their eggs here.
- West Bay Beach on Roatan, off Honduras has all the hallmarks of a Caribbean idyll.
- Tulum Beach in Mexico is far quieter than Cancun and benefits from being backed by the Mayan ruins of Tulum.
- San Juan beach in Nicaragua is fringed by rainforest and offers superb surfing, sailing and sea-fishing.
- The Comarca Kuna Yala islands off Panama make up for the lack of quality beaches on the mainland and also have colourful indigenous tribes people to visit.
These are just a handful of the options available though. Additionally, tailor-make your beach holiday in Central America by adding an excursion, wildlife holiday or city break to create a truly sensational escape; talk to a destination specialist to see what we can do for you.