Overall purpose of position:
Wexas operates in both the luxury travel and business travel sectors and has embarked on a new strategic, digital-first direction, moving away from its roots as a membership organisation. The travel industry requires constant digital innovation and development to remain competitive. This role will drive our ambition to become best-in-class for online functionality, developing our suite of websites, backend functionality, custom CMS and integrating new technology as we seek to continually enhance our digital capabilities.
Working alongside the digital manager, you will be a champion of innovation and bring new ideas to the table, while delivering first-class backend and frontend development. You will play a crucial role in the digital development of the company, with an added responsibility to provide technical marketing and operational support in key business areas.
Your duties will include development and maintenance of the websites and webservers, resolution of any front and backend bugs, integrating design improvements to our websites and email marketing templates, and continually seeking to help the digital manager improve ROI and drive improved campaign effectiveness through the web.
Sole web development responsibility for all Wexas-owned websites including: wexas.com, theluxurycruisecompany.com, wexastravelmanagement.co.uk, best-served.co.uk and theluxuryholidaycompany.com, as well as maintaining the cloud infrastructure that hosts it on AWS (Amazon Web Services).
Driving forward growth across Wexas-owned brands through developing innovative and professional front-end and backend (database driven and integration projects) web functionality – and support for the existing customer base through maintenance of online services and web systems.
Reporting directly to the digital manager and working in conjunction with the IT & operations team to introduce or enhance online technology with processes that ensure the best UX for clients and employees. You will play a key role in the implementation of all Wexas web projects.
You will liaise with managers and key team members within the business, helping define requirements and propose solutions (for stakeholder approval) before ensuring the timely implementation of the agreed projects/tasks. On larger projects, you will be the main development point of contact while working alongside freelance developers.
Key objectives include supporting the digital manager in the acquisition, conversion and retention of clients on the various Wexas Travel websites, including specific responsibilities in the following areas:
- Front and backend web development
- Integration of a new CRM and other backend functionality with our CMS
- On-site SEO
- Server monitoring, maintenance and stability
- HTML5 & CSS3
- SQL Databases (preferably MySQL)
- Laravel (or similar MVC frameworks e.g. Symfony/CakePHP)
- Nginx (or Apache) within Linux
- Implementation of REST & SOAP APIs into existing backend frameworks
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, S3, Cloudfront), Google Cloud or similar
- Git VCS (GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab etc.)
- Gulp (or Grunt)
- Redis (used for caching)
- Ansible, Chef or Puppet (useful for provisioning)
- Docker (used in testing)
- Email marketing (best practices)
- E-commerce integration
- Google Analytics
- On-page SEO
The ideal candidate would be someone who has a positive can-do attitude, is a good communicator, takes initiative, and is willing to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.
The ideal candidate would possess:
- A university degree or equivalent in web development, computer science, software development or similar
- Previous experience of developing a custom CMS
- Good analytical skills and conceptual thinking
- Articulate in both written and verbal communication
- Excellent PC and/or Mac skills
How to Apply
Closing date for application is Friday 22 September
Please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected].
Wexas is an equal opportunities employer.